Christmas Skirt and Shirt Idea...



I just went on a Christmas fabric shopping spree to JoAnn's Fabric (don't tell my husband :/).  I just finished this last night.  So fun.  My camera battery was dead so some of the pictures aren't as clear because they're from my phone.
I bought 3 types of christmasy patterns and got half a yard in each.  I then cut them into six inch strips that have a slight angle on the sides and end up five inches at the top.


If you just keep flipping your fabric back and forth with a sample piece and cut around it you won't waste any more fabric than you have to.  I am so not a perfectionist so they were definitely not precise.
When I was finished I had 9 strips of each.  For my 5 yr old I used 5 strips each and for my 3 yr old I ended up with 4 each.  If you only have one girl to make a skirt for you might at well make a smaller one for a gift or something :).


Then I just layed it out and figured out what pattern I wanted.
I surged all my pieces together but you can zig-zag them if you don't have a surger.  Remember to always sew with right sides together and above you can see what it looked like before I sewed the two ends together.
I wanted the skirt to have a little flair so I added mesh netting and liner underneath to give it a little lift.  I just roughly made them the same size, then put them inside the skirt and pinned them all together.  Then I sewed them all together with a wide stitch.
Next, I made a gathering stitch and gathered the skirt to prepare it for the elastic band I attached it to.


For the tutorial on making a skirt with a wide elastic band click HERE. 
Then I added a pink satin ribbon to cover my surged edge.

I found this perfect green shirt at Target and added this doiley lace to the top of it.  I love how it turned out!